Monday, April 27, 2009

A Day at the Dunes

Welp, as promised, here are those pix of our day trip to the Bruneau Sand Dunes State Park. It was a glorious day and hardly anyone was there. This is a pretty cool natural phenomenon, with the dunes being created by a natural sand trap caused by opposing wind systems. It's the tallest sand dune in North America, rising 470 feet above ground level. What's also neat about the place is that it has an observatory, the largest public observatory in Idaho. How cool is that? We want to visit next time and spend the night in the campground so we can visit the observatory, which wasn't open when we visited on this trip.

One of the big highlights was seeing this bunny! He let me get within five feet of him to take this photo!:


There's also a small lake at the foot of the dunes (an odd juxtaposition), which was full of these quirky little ducks:


The area around the dunes was spotted by thousands of little clumps of these pretty little flowers:


What a beautiful day!:


We ended the day at our favorite Mexican restaurant, El Gallo Giro in Kuna. This place is da bomb -- easily the best Mexican food I've ever had! And they make their margaritas from scratch -- no mixes! You can't beat that with a churro!:

I think back on that trip, and the relaxation we felt. It was a super day. We took back roads to get there, which is part of the fun. I truly relish these meandering wanderings we take on a whim. I keep this in mind as I contemplate cleaning my office, because I know it'll be a two-day job. It'll entail a shovel and lots of garbage bags, and five sets of peering beady eyes wondering what the heck I'm doing! And perhaps some margaritas of our own to ease the drudgery of it all. In the meantime, I'll continue planting my petunias and finishing up "Jax," so I can post pix of him and "Reflective" sometime this week for you.

"Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe." ~ Anatole France

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts with Thumbnails