Friday, May 14, 2010

A Decade of Delight

"Me," as flowers

Yesterday, Hubby and I celebrated our 10 year Anniversary. I still can't believe it, really. Honestly, it only seems like maybe three years ago we said our vows. I guess it's true what they say about time flying.

He came home with a bouquet of flowers for me -- thanks Ham! It was too funny. He went to a downtown florist and the guy asked Ham, "So...what's your wife like? What's her aura?" Yes. Aura. I'm not kidding. Rather dumbfounded, all Ham could say was, "Well, she's just...really...different." Nice save, Hammy! So there ya go (pic above). Those are orchids and some kind of tropical exotic thingy. So pretty and apparently they'll last all week! Loves 'em!

Earlier that day, Mom and I met him for lunch downtown at one of our fave restaurants, Berryhill & Co. It was a belated Mother's Day and 10 Year Anniversary luncheon, and the happy sun was out for the first time in what seemed like eons so we got to eat outside, too. A perfect day. Mom got a grilled chicken salad, Ham got a buffalo burger, and I had an amazing basil pesto, pear, gorgonzola and pistachio personal pizza for lunch.

Behold this thing of beauty. NOM NOM NOM.


For dessert, we shared their signature dessert, a baked apple with cranberries, a la mode. Delish! The perfect dessert for a sunny day!

Boise is full of art tucked away in hidden places, and the courtyard of Berryhill & Co. is no exception. I loved this totem-like bear and fish sculpture quietly mounted onto the side of a building:

The amazing bear squad, flying in bear formation!


Close-up of one of these appealing bears. His neck looks full of bear goo that needs to be oozed.

Walking back to the parking garage, we passed the famous Boise Hole which serves no good purpose other than providing an excuse for its panels to become ever-changing downtown art. And so I saw the newest installation and regarded it as a message from the cosmos:


Now I was expecting to wait until Saturday before we went out for our annual celebratory dinner at our favorite Italian restaurant, Gino's, since it was a week night. So imagine my surprise when Hubby comes home with those flowers and announces we have 6:30 reservations that night! Wow! My sweet, sentimental Hubby decided we had to go out on our actual 10 year Anniversary because it was such a milestone. So I was tickled. I got gussied up (which is a big deal for me, who lives in studio rags and flip flops) and off we went. We got a marvelous quiet, corner table and proceeded to have an incredible meal (Thanks Mom and Dad!). Ham had his regular slow-cooked boar (bone in) with homemade gnocchi:

Behold that bad boy!

And I had what is now #1 on my Top Ten Best Things I've Ever Eaten List...butternut squash ravioli in brown butter and sage...down to earth, clean tasting, sublime, savory yet sweet, nutty, and it doesn't weigh you down:

This was Heaven on a dish. Seriously. This dish made me joyous to be alive. Conscious. Coherent (well, OK...that may be a stretch). Really, it was my marriage translated into food. I devoured the whole thing.

As you can tell, clearly we enjoy good food because, really, love, food and happiness just go together, don't they? So Happy 10 Years Hammy! It's been a blessing!

"Your words are my food, your breath my wine. You are everything to me." ~ Sarah Bernhardt


Share/Bookmark
Related Posts with Thumbnails