Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!


And happy new tiles! I just spent the first day of 2010 tying pretty ribbons on seventy-three beautiful tiles Big Al baked and taking photographs of each one. To see all their photos, go here. They'll all go up for sale on Monday, so if you're a member of my giftware list, you should have gotten an informational on how that's gonna run. If you aren't on my giftware list, please email me and I can add you. Being on my giftware list will have definite perks with these (and future) tiles!

As you know, I thinned down the glazes for this first big batch, and boy -- are the results totally different than the first tests! I think that by thinning the glaze, the particles were able to separate out of suspension and so they distributed unevenly around the tile. Now, personally, I love this kind of variation, so you can imagine my delight when I opened my kiln! However, I'm not sure the buying public will appreciate such unpredictability when they're making online choices based off a photo. I think these kinds of glaze results need to be sold in person, so people can pick through them and chose their favorite (which is what I do myself). So I'm going to be aiming for more homogeneous results so that people will (hopefully) have more of a WYSIWYG buying experience. So I'm not sure that any of these glaze finishes will make it into the final production line, but who knows. If certain colors go over well...maybe.

Anyway, I hope you like the results as much as I do! I couldn't be happier! What a great way to start off the New Year! HIKEEBA! Now maybe the good juju created by these tiles will rub off on the two bisque Brownies I'm glazing...

"I work in whatever medium likes me at the moment." ~ Marc Chagall

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts with Thumbnails