Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day!


To all you Dad's out there -- Happy Father's Day! This one in particular has a new meaning for me, thanks to the Mourning Dove pair who have nested in our wreath. I believe that's Dad sitting on his brood (above).

The two chicks are growing at an alarming rate, and Hubby reported that they had started to test their wings just this morning! I put some seat cushions beneath the nest, just in case one of them falls so they won't hit the patio cement.


They are so cute, I want to pull my hair out!


There's Mom and Dad on our roof, keeping a close vigil on their chicks. We are constantly watched by beady eyes -- which I happen to find appealing. I like things with beady eyes.


As to the Melly tiles, Hubby helped me yesterday to clean all 300 of them (plus some more!) and they're all loaded into Big Al, ready for firing. I had planned to fire them today, but I noticed that many were still too damp. I think because I had dried them on the drywall boards flipped over onto the cardboard side, in order to keep the drywall side clean for my white stoneware (terra cotta contains minerals that stain other clays, so you have to keep everything separate). And I suspect the cardboard wasn't as effective as the plaster drywall. So I'm letting them sit in Big Al until Tuesday, just in case.

Also in this fire are two terra cotta tiles I intend to fancy up for the Breakables ceramic figurine show. There are two of them, a Champion and Reserve Champion, and if the fire goes well, they will feature two of the new designs, and decorated with fancy bent wire and beads! Real one-of-a-kinds -- I wanted something really fun and special for a really special show! Thank you Maggie Barkovitz for hosting this terrific event!

Now...off to bug Dad and eat way more ice cream cake than should be allowed....

"It kills you to see them grow up. But I guess it would kill you quicker if they didn't." ~ Barbara Kingsolver

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts with Thumbnails