Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Stampin' to Siouxsie


Just when you think you're totally rad, something occurs to you and you realize you weren't rad at all. Not even in the vicinity of radness. Your Rad-O-Meter reads zero. Heck, it's not even turned on. Instead, you see you've been an utter and complete dork. A dufus of the highest order.

I had one of the worst nights Sunday night -- my neck, shoulders and back were locked tight and the pain kept me up, well, pretty much all night. All of this due to hand-stamping. With this unignorable result, I knew there was no way I was going to survive my own idea. The quote came to mind from The Mincing Mockingbird, "My Personal Quest Would Have Been Much More Successful Had I Not Gotten Involved." And I have this piece hanging in my studio for obviously very important reasons. Anyway, I got to thinking...

Hey, I have a perfectly good tile press, why can't I use that? LO! YES. Cut the handle off the stamp with a hacksaw! Why not? Rather than pressing clay into a mold, why couldn't I press a mold into the clay? Out came the hacksaw and off came the handle. I zipped down to Potter's Center, got more clay and immediately dove in.

It worked. Beautifully! And with such ease. Nary a smidgen of pressure did the job! And what's more -- in a quarter of the time! In the time it took me to hand-press ten tiles -- about thirty minutes -- Sir Squish (my tile press) did in ten. BUCK A WAH.

Only a finger's touch does the job! I can sleep again! I got my tile press from J & J Mold Company and it's da bomb. Each one is hand made and works like a dream. It's geared, so the task of pressing is a breeze.


I've also gotten more proficient at rolling, so I'm getting more cut-outs from a single slab -- yay!


So I cranked up Siouxsie's Mantaray album and pressed away! I have all my Christmas tiles pressed in the blink of an eye, and now I can dive into sale pieces. But what irony! Though I now have plenty of clay and have the system down, I've run out of drywall boards! DOH! So I'm off to procure more. I suspect the next thing I'll run out of is space in the garage for drying. Oy.

"New ideas pass through three periods: 1) It can't be done. 2) It probably can be done, but it's not worth doing. 3) I knew it was a good idea all along!" ~ Arthur C. Clarke

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts with Thumbnails