Saturday, July 10, 2010

"Breakables" Show Awards


Phew! I finished them in the nick of time! I'm sponsoring a Champion and Reserve Champion set of awards for the Breakables show, hosted by Maggie Barkowitz. This show is dedicated to all horse figurines cast in ceramics or cold-cast ceramics, making it a really diverse, exciting and often historic exhibition. Collectors really bring out their rare pieces for this show!

The Champion award. This is one of my new stamp designs in terra cotta clay. I created the hanging contraption out of hammered copper wire -- I love copper. Also note that I punched in a third hole on the bottom, to allow me to affix another copper finding, and beads beads beads!



The Reserve Champion award, my previous design stamped in terra cotta clay.


It's really fun to play around with these tiles in different ways -- with clays, glazes, ribbons, beads and different holes (or no holes). There really are so many options! With this in mind, I've decided to create batches of tiles with various hole configurations to allow buyers to gussy them up however they wish. I think it's important that an option exists for people to "customize" their tiles with their own festoonery. In this sense, the tile becomes a kind of giant bead or accent, and I'm looking forward to what people do with them in this regard.

Speaking of which, all the bisque FHF Fundraiser tiles are off to the participating glazers! Mine are finished, and I just have to get them photographed and packaged -- then they'll go up for sale! I'm aiming to start selling them before the 24th, so stay tuned!

"The whole difference between a construction and a creation is exactly this: that a thing constructed can be loved after it is constructed; but a thing created is loved before it exists." ~ G.K. Chesterton

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts with Thumbnails