Monday, January 10, 2011

The Last Voyage


 The last cover of The Boat, showcasing the lovely sculpture, Hazel, by Morgen Kilbourn.

All good things must come to an end, and so it is with RESS and The Boat -- Voyage 42 is the last issue. Despite all its promise and benefits, life simply got in the way and grounded this effort. Yet the seeds it has sown are plentiful and wonderful, and members will be reaping the benefits for many years to come. I know that my crash course in publishing will be very handy for my own future endeavors!

I've enjoyed my time as editor immensely and was continually astounded at the generosity, enthusiasm and dedication each author, columnist and staff member poured into their contributions. Thank you! You've helped to create a unique and meaningful  collection of resources in the world of equine art!

To think back on how Lynn Fraley and I sat down over coffee all those years ago to flesh out the organization, and then to have so many amazing people join in because they believed in it, too. What an incredible experience! It was a true honor.

I'll remember my time with RESS fondly and keep close to heart all the valuable lessons I've learned. Perhaps if I'm lucky I'll be given a chance to share that knowledge with other artists to keep the spirit of RESS alive.

So what to do now with all this new-found "free time?" Welp -- I plan to throw myself into my work to make some tangible headway toward many goals I've put off for too long. Bronzes are at the top of the list as is a jewelry line in PMC (precious metal clay). It's time to pilot my own boat in earnest, and I cannot wait to see what new adventures await me! 

"Now...bring me that horizon." ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts with Thumbnails