Thursday, May 19, 2011

2011 Breakables Booty

A terracotta Runehorse, who's been languishing in the studio now finally has a destiny!

One of the great things about having a ceramic studio is the ability to sponsor awards with pieces I make. I get to play in mud, experiment with new methods, clays and glazes, and help support shows that showcase ceramic works. A win-win!

In that spirit, I'm again sponsoring Breakables this year, held in conjunction with Breyerfest. Like last year, I'm sponsoring a Minkiewicz Challenge, but since I had so many left-over tiles and magnets from BOYCC production, I glazed them up and sent them along, too. Spread the fun!
 
 Here's a peek at some of the various tiles for Breakables!

 And here's a look at some of the magnets.

 
For a change, I decided to create a couple of tiles without holes and mount them into trivets to hang on a wall in a frame. I really like how they turned out, and I plan to explore this idea further. One idea in particular intrigues me: incorporating mosaic elements to fill the space between the tile and the edge of the frame. I could make my own mosaic components in clay, or use glass stuff from mosaic suppliers. Now these are earthenware tiles, so I wouldn't use them as actual trivets, but if I use stoneware or porcelain, they could be functional in the kitchen, too!

It feels good getting these puppies out early, after having to scramble to get the awards shipped for MMMSS and BOYCC. Now I can breathe easy with my obligations fulfilled, and get back to work in the studio on new pieces!  I also have a pile of stoneware tiles drying for my Etsy store, and hope to get them glazed and stocked in the next couple of weeks.

"The reward of art is not fame or success but intoxication: that is why so many bad artists are unable to give it up." ~ Cyril Connolly

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts with Thumbnails