Friday, December 19, 2008

Holiday Chill n' Cheer

Brrrrr....it's been quite a winter already here in Boise! This past week we've had snow snow snow, and then more snow. With more snow on the way. We're hitting record lows, too, with double-digits with little minus signs in front of them. Yow. "Thank you God for furnaces, thank you God for furnaces...." It's the little things in life....that keep you alive!

Btw, that's the sun in the picture [above], not the moon!

I have a love-hate relationship with this time of year.
While I relish the change of seasons, for they remind me of the bigger things in life, and it is certainly beautiful, I have a pronounced aversion to being cold. Maybe because I'm a July-baby, or because of my freakishly low blood pressure, or maybe because I was a lizard in a past life [grin] -- I adore heat. Crank it up and break the knob off! Ironically, however, Hubby says I constantly feel like a "Sarah-cicle," and that if I were a dog, I'd definitely be healthy (with my cold nose). So I stay indoors during winter, as you can well imagine, which means I get a whole heckuva lot done in the studio, as I hunker down and cocoon myself in a euphoria of artistic weavings. There's something about this time of year that turns my mind inward, and more focused on creative things. So while it may be freakin' freezin' out there, the fires of creativity are roarin' hot in my studio!

Anyway, I thought I'd do something special this year (and I hope to make it an annual thing) in the spirit of the season, and as a "thank you" to all of you who allow me to do this artistic nutiness for a living -- I'm having a Christmas giveaway to those on my lists, and subscribers to this blog!

Those on my resin list will be entered into a lottery for this piece:
Every once and a while, Randy, my resin-caster extraordinaire, sends me the decapitated heads of my sculptures, which I love since I can use them for all sorts of ideas. So here, we have a Tango head adorned with beady goodness. I'm a hopeless sucker for a beautiful glass bead!

Those on my bronze list will go into the pot for this piece:
This is the smallest of my current line of Rune Horses, but which happens to be my favorite design. It struck me how white glaze on the terra cotta looked like a frosted ginger cookie, which seemed especially apropos for Christmas!

Likewise, those on my ceramic giftware list will be lotteried for:
This is the mid-size piece in my current Rune Horse series, the first one I sculpted and which inspired the set! It does strike me now how much of a resemblance it bears to my Taboo sculpture!

Then those on my ceramic sculpture list will be popped into the hat for this piece:
The biggest of the Rune Horses! If it were a cookie, it would be quite a mouthful! I love the terra cotta clay -- it looks so cozy and "homey."

And, finally, those of you here who subscribe to my blog will be entered into a lottery for the whole set...
I am truly blessed to be able to make a living at my passion, and to be able to share it with so many of you! 'Tis the season for remembering what's good about our lives, and I can say with a happy heart that my life is brimming with great things, like you!

Thank you!

"Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others." ~Cicero


Share/Bookmark
Related Posts with Thumbnails