Sunday, September 21, 2008

Fall is in the air!

Tomorrow is the official start of Fall, one of my favorite seasons. My flowers have spent their last, and their pots are being cleaned and put away until next Spring. I'll miss their bright, happy faces, but I do look forward to the brilliant zest of the changing leaves! Between the crisper days and the holiday paraphernalia, my instinctual need for coziness and hot meals has increased...it's time to pull out the crock pot and afghans once again.

Yesterday, I woke up to a special treat: Thunder! All day we had a rip-roaring thunderstorm cracking over our house, with periodic downpours. It was wonderful. I love rainy days like that...everything gets doused and cleaned, and the wet aroma is simply wonderful.

On the work-front, hubby has taken a break from homework to help me with the impending Brownie sale by taping up a wall of boxes for the little tyke.
At least 36 pugnacious little fuzz balls should be zipping out to new homes soon! I'm really excited to see painted Brownies since donkey patterning and coloration can be so different from that of horses. I'm always fascinated to see how painters tackle heavy fur texture, too, since each artist tackles that challenge just a little differently.

Speaking of cozy, I'm cleaning up a Brownie to send down to Joan Berkwitz, so he can be properly baked in earthenware! Yummmm....warm, fresh Brownies, right out of the oven! I'm really excited to see him in shiny goodness -- I think the glaze will catch all the fuzz of his coat so beautifully.

T
hese cooler months offer a more pleasant temperature in the garage where my ceramics studio is located. Now I can get in there and get to work in muddy goodness without being baked myself! There are a lot of projects in the works for Maury and Big Al, so it should be an exciting Winter!
This little guy (above) is Big Al's "kiln god." He's a friendly little guy who watches over each firing, and he's done a pretty good job so far!

Anyhoo, I love Sundays -- there's such a relaxed feeling about it, an inherent coziness to the day. Pair that with Fall-like weather, and well...it's a good day.

"The winds will blow their own freshness into you,
and the storms their energy,
while cares will drop away from you
like the leaves of Autumn." ~ John Muir

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts with Thumbnails