Monday, September 1, 2008

Chumming For Land Sharks

This Labor Day Weekend was truly blessed. Well, according to my Hubby. Why? That would be because of the first annual Eagle Rib Cook-Off and Spudfest. Things like this are practically sacred gatherings to him, appealing to some deep-rooted primordial need for slow-roasted beast. Honestly, if there's one thing that will always put him into a euphoric stupor, it's the thought of BBQ ribs and brisket. So we toodled down in time for the free samples being handed out by the competitors after the judging was completed. My anxious Hubby was so excited waiting for them to start the lines, and I could tell he was planning his strategy. Everyone was. It was like watching vultures circle a kill. He enjoyed an ample array of samples, and definitely had his favorites. I think he'd make a good judge for next year!

Today is a perfect day. Big puffy clouds, a slight breeze and about 70˚. On a day like this, I just couldn't resist taking a break from The Boat to enjoy the outside. Now we have the house opened up to let all this wonderful fresh air in, and it's great to hear the sounds of the tree leaves swishing. My neighbor is playing his Celtic folk music again, and I love it. Our other neighbor just brought over some garden-grown and homemade sweet pickles--yum!

Anyway, as for myself, I like BBQ, sure, but I don't love it like Hubby does. Instead, I prefer BBQ shrimp! A typical summer day here is like a "surf n' turf," with my carnivore Hubby grillin' a big fat steak and me sizzlin' up skewers of shrimp (basted in a butter-lime-garlic glaze!). He wants a smoker pretty badly, so that might be something to consider down the road, though I know it'll drive all the neighborhood dogs insane. Lots of people brought their dogs to the Cook-Off and I have to say...I felt sorry for them. Their eyes were so full of hope!

I do have to admit, though, that I'm banned from our BBQ. After one fateful afternoon of attempting to grill brats while unsupervised and then practically burning our house down, frying the hair off my face, nearly melting my glasses and crispifying the vines that overhang our patio...seriously...I was Wily E. Coyote after his Acme Dynamite goes off...Hubby ordered, begged and reiterated that I don't even think about touching that BBQ. Ever. Don't even look at it. OK...so I misunderstood his instructions! I thought he told me to turn the gas on and let it sit for 20 minutes before lighting. Yeah, I thought he said that at the time, but apparently not.

Anyhoo...I hope your Labor Day Weekend is rockin', too! Though for those bearing Gustav's anger, my thoughts are with you! Hunker down and stay safe!

"I'm not saying my wife's a bad cook, but she uses a smoke alarm as a timer." ~ Bob Monkhouse

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts with Thumbnails